Sunday 23 April 2017

It's a Pods life!




Having just finished my mornings clinic, I was driving home in my car reflecting on the people I have just seen and questioning my role as a Podiatrist. I get asked numerous times a day (as most Podiatrists do) “How can you mess with people’s feet?” Or “Don’t you get bored looking at feet all day?” ……….

Well- after this morning’s clinic I can honestly say no- I never get bored, and ‘messing’ with feet all day is actually more varied than most people think! This morning’s clinic was nothing out of the ordinary for me but just summed up nicely the variety of skills we need as Podiatrists to journey through a clinic.

Its 8am and I arrive early this morning to catch up on making the orthotics I had promised a patient that was calling in later in the morning.  I open up and set my clinic up as usual. Start the steriliser so all my instruments are ready to go, and check the answerphone. I have a few patients to call wanting to book their routine check-ups. Added to my to do list (Don’t think they would appreciate a call this early on a Saturday!!)

My first patient arrives.  A new patient who was concerned with their feet due to blistering when walking. Yes, blisters were present and there was some callus (hard skin) as well. My main concern was assessing why the blisters were coming in the first place. A review of footwear and a gait analysis we discussed their walking style and offloaded the affected areas with a pair of orthotics. Footwear was also discussed and general foot care advice given to help prevent future problems. Patient left happy, and I felt great too knowing my day had started well.

Next came one of my regular patients who attends for nail care as they have mobility issues and struggle to do it themselves. It’s so rewarding being able to help. Such a simple treatment yet so important to keep people mobile and independent. Also, got a chance for a catch up on their recent holiday away with relatives. I love hearing the stories of places patients have been all over the world. The joy they have in telling me their stories, can make me almost imagine I have been there myself.


I sneak in a quick brew, then bring in my next patient. A nail surgery redressing from a patient who I had undertaken nail surgery on the previous day. I find the first dressing appointment important to see how the surgery had gone. Thankfully, all was ok and the surgery had gone well. Knowing that the patient managed a full night’s sleep for the first time in months as they were pain free is fantastic!


Then in walked one of my favourite patients (I know we shouldn't have favourites but hey, she brings chocolate and I’m easily bought!!) The chocolate biscuit goes down a treat as I continue with my treatments. She comes for her ‘usual’ as she calls it. It may seem to patients that we just cut nails, remove hard skin and give a general MOT, but we are also doing so much more. When holding the foot I’m checking pulses, ensuring sensation is intact, or that there are no significant changes to the feet since your last visit. Nails are cut to ensure comfort, and thickened nails reduced to offload pressure and prevent significant tissue breakdown under the nails. Corns and callus are removed to ensure pain free walking, leaving a feeling of walking on air (still one of my favourite phrases from patients).


 After a couple more of my regular patients, and a good gossip about everything from the weather (that we finally have some sun), through to football, and the best chippies in Offerton I welcome my patient collecting their orthotics. With a 3-day turnaround of casted orthotics the patient was looking forward to getting back out walking. Orthotics should always be fitted personally to ensure fit to shoe, and that the prescription is helping the areas it is designed to! Some stretches exercises later and orthotic wear advice, it’s time to wrap up my clinic for the day. After a catch-up of all patient messages and tidy up and cleaning of my instruments, it’s off home for an afternoon of what's left of the sunshine with my family.        


So, when asked do I get bored with feet- absolutely not (I don’t have time to be bored!) or how do I mess with people feet all day- I don’t. I look at the whole body, from the feet right up to the head to look at how you are stood, how you move and your overall alignment. I also need to be aware of any medical conditions and your medication to know how it can impact your feet. But, most importantly of all I listen to a patient’s needs, ensuring I build trust with each individual, so that we work together to develop a treatment plan to aid with their problems. I love my job, I love helping others but most of all I’m #ProudtobeaPod.



No comments:

Post a Comment